Fall Maintenance Around our Houseposted by Andrea | 11/5/2012
Every fall, about this time, Dave and I start to feel overwhelmed with all the home maintenance projects that need to happen before winter arrives. I’m sure all homeowners can relate!
Here are some of the projects…
- Rake the leaves — most of them blew out of our yard, but we still have a bunch left (but at least Nora is helping with those!)
- Clean out the gutters — we do have gutter helmets but sometimes stuff still gets down there and clogs them — which causes a problem when the water turns to ice.
- Wash exterior windows — DONE!! (I washed the inside too)
- Cut down plants/bushes/trees — this is the one downside of having lots of beautiful flowers in the spring and summer.
- Pack up outdoor furniture — DONE!
- Blow out the underground sprinklers — DONE!
- Clean out the garage one last time before it’s too cold — I worked on this over the weekend so it’s almost done.
- Check the furnace and clean the filters — DONE! We use this washable filter so we already washed that out before we turned our heat on a few weeks ago. We’re getting the furnace checked in another couple of weeks.
…and the list could go on!
This year (because we just have so much time on our hands) we’re trying to finish a few extra projects too. 🙂
- Set up the new swingset for Nora’s birthday — we were graciously GIVEN one from a friend… and we have no shame in giving our child a used gift!
- Install a fence around part of our backyard — we have the fence, just not the energy or equipment to install it!
- Seal the deck after our power washing project — anyone have a recommendation for what sealer we should use?
- Clean the carpets — DONE! we just had Chip from TLC cleaning out last week, and the carpets look fabulous!
- Clean out our heat ducts — we use Pro Duct Cleaning (no website) to do this every other year (sometimes more often if we do lots of dusty home renovation projects!
- Clean the roof — DONE! We have some moss and gross stuff growing on it (plus, I’m not willing to risk being a single parent) so we decided to call in the professionals. We hired Roof Shampoo and they cleaned our house, garage, and outbuilding all in just a few hours. We are more than thrilled with the results and their fabulous customer service. Seriously, look at these before and after pictures!
I’m thrilled with everything we’ve accomplished so far, but due to the lack of time before cold weather, I’m somewhat doubtful everything else will be crossed off our list.
However, that won’t stop me from plugging away until it’s too cold!