Oatmeal Caramel Barsposted by Andrea | 04/19/2012
During our spring break staycation, I spent one afternoon in the kitchen baking up a storm. I filled an entire shelf in our deep freezer with baked goods… and of course, we ate a bunch too.
Most of the recipes I tried were brand new to me, and one of our favorites were these Oatmeal Caramel Bars.
I love 3 things about this recipe (besides the taste):
- It uses really simple ingredients that almost anyone should have on hand.
- It’s very quick and easy to make.
- It makes 2 large 9″ x 13″ pans so you’ll have plenty to eat now and freeze for later!
Recipe for Oatmeal Caramel Bars:
- 3 sticks of butter
- 3 c. brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 T. vanilla
- 2 t. baking soda
- 3 1/2 c. flour
- 4 1/2 c. quick-cooking oats
- 2 c. chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or dried fruit (optional)
- 1 c. chopped nuts (optional)
- 2 7-oz. bags caramels (about 45-50 caramels)
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1 T. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350*F
- Grease and flour TWO 9″ x 13″ baking dishes; set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until combined
- Add in the flour, baking soda, and oats (your bowl will be quite full!)
- Press 1/3 of the mixture into each of the 9″ x 13″ pan (you will use 2/3 of the mixture total)
- Sprinkle with chocolate, dried fruit, or nuts (if desired)
- In a saucepan, combine caramels, milk, and vanilla — cook over low heat until caramels are melted.
- Pour caramel mixture over the oat mixture in each pan
- “crumble” the remaining 1/3 of the oats mixtures over the caramel in each pan
- Bake at 350* F for 25 minutes or until the top is brown and the center is set.
- Cool and cut into bars
This recipe is sooooo good. And I love that you can add all sorts of “extras” to fit your family’s taste buds. We’re big chocolate lovers in our house so I always add a healthy dose of chocolate chips, but dried fruit and nuts might be a nice combination too!
Also, in case you are wondering, I just pulled another batch out of our freezer and they taste fantastic!
What mix-ins would you add to this recipe?
Visit my virtual recipe box for more simple, delicious, family friendly, recipes!
Filed under: Food