35+ Thanksgiving Leftover Ideasposted by Andrea | 11/27/2013
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving — and while I’m not trying to rush my most favorite holiday away, I also know that by tomorrow evening, you could very well be stranded in your kitchen with piles and piles of delicious Thanksgiving leftovers — and no desire to spend hours in the kitchen dealing with them all.
So instead of letting them go to waste (or eating traditional Thanksgiving dinner every night for the next 2 weeks) I thought I’d share a bunch of simple recipes and ideas I use to repurpose our yummy Thanksgiving leftovers!
- Depending on the type of punch, you could freeze it in ice cube trays and use it to add flavor to other beverages later on, or use it too chill (without watering down) punch the next time you make it.
- Here’s a post with a bunch of ideas for flat soda (and make sure to read the comments for more ideas too)
- Freeze for smoothies
- Mix in a can of peach pie filling (keeps the fruit from going brown) and make a whole new fruit salad
- Chop it up into tiny bits and add it to fruity gelatin for a new twist (note: this doesn’t work with with fresh pineapple)
- Add leftover cranberry relish to ham or turkey sandwiches as a little extra kick
- Freeze leftover applesauce or use it in any number of baking recipes to replace the oil
- Add some milk, cheese, and spices for this yummy vegetable chowder
- Add some cream cheese and Ritz cracker crumbs to make this creamy vegetable bake
- Use any leftover corn for this delicious semi-homemade cornbread
- Pretty much any other soups, stews, casserole, etc.
- Cheesy Mashed Potato Soup
- These delicious potato rolls (seriously, they are SO good!)
- Make shepherds pie
- Chop up baked or boiled potatoes into bite-size pieces and use for soups, stews, or pot pie
Leftover Chicken or Turkey
You can use chicken or turkey for any of the recipes listed below.
- Chicken/Turkey Pot Pie (I make this EVERY year after Thanksgiving!)
- Chicken, Broccoli and Rice Casserole
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken Lasagna
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Chicken Vegetable Bake
- Creamy Chicken Packets
- Creamed Turkey/Chicken Sandwiches (slow cooker)
- Chicken and Rice Soup
- Hot Turkey Sandwiches (a good way to use up leftover mashed potatoes and gravy too)
- Chop it up into bite-size pieces and freeze in 2 c. portions for casseroles and soups later in the year
Leftover Broth and/or Gravies
- Use the broth in soups or stews
- Use the gravy for hot chicken or turkey sandwiches as mentioned above
- Freeze it in 1 or 2 c. portions for easy use later — seriously, I never throw this stuff out!
- Make baked ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch or dinner (any type of roll will work with this recipe)
- Make homemade bread crumbs
- Freeze them to make this stuffing recipe later in the year
- Eat them 🙂
- Make up some goodie bags for your guests or neighbors
- Freeze it for later — you’d be surprised how well baked goods freeze — even frosted cakes, cupcakes, brownies, bars, muffins, cookies, fudge, cream pies, etc. The only thing I haven’t tried freezing is fruit pies.
OK, I think I covered most of the basics here… and hopefully gave you a few creative ideas to use up some of your leftovers.