Chewy, Delicious Blondie Barsposted by Andrea | 05/7/2015
Several years ago, my sister brought a pan of these “Blondie Bars” to a holiday party. I initially didn’t take one because, after all, they weren’t chocolate, and why would I want to waste my time with a dessert that wasn’t chocolate? 🙂
However, I kept hearing people talk about the bars, so I figured I had to try a little one.
To my surprise, they were absolutely delicious — potentially even better than most chocolaty bars I loved so much
Over the years, my sister has brought these bars to many more parties and events; and of course, she shared her recipe with me!
I’m not sure where her variation of this recipe came from… all I know is they are really good, really easy, make a nice big batch, and freeze well — so they are essentially the perfect recipe to share here on my blog.
Recipe for Blondie Bars
makes a 9″ x 13″ pan
- 1 c. butterscotch chips
- 1/2 c. butter (1 stick)
- 1.5 c. all purpose flour
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 c. mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Grease a 9″ x 13″ baking pan and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt butterscotch chips and butter together until smooth (I do 20-30 second intervals, stirring between). Set bowl aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, vanilla, eggs, and butterscotch mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Mix in chocolate chips and marshmallows until combined –the batter will be VERY thick.
- Spread into a greased 9″ x 13″ pan and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cut into bars and store in a tightly sealed container (or freeze some for later).
For a MAJOR chocolate-lover like myself, these bars are truly one of my all-time favorite snacks and desserts. I cut them really small because it’s almost impossible to have “just one”.
And if you’re looking for a dessert or snack to bring to an upcoming party or event, I would highly recommend these. The only downside is you most likely won’t have any leftovers to bring home again 🙂
What are your favorite non-chocolate bar recipes?
Visit my virtual recipe box for more simple, delicious, family friendly recipes!
Filed under: Food