This easy recipe for pizza sliders is sure to go over well with your tribe. Whether you need a quick weeknight meal or fun finger food for the big game, pizza sliders will do the trick.
Today’s recipe is a family favorite around the Dekker house — getting 2 thumbs up from everyone (which is not always easy to do!)
Besides the fact that pizza sliders are really tasty and really easy, they are also an excellent clean-out-your-fridge-and-pantry recipe.
Our favorite sliders are pepperoni + salami + mozzarella +Parmesan cheese — but I can attest that almost any combination of meat and cheese you have in the fridge will work.
Just layer your favorite pizza toppings on your favorite buns and drizzle with a yummy parmesan butter sauce (see recipe below)… they bake to perfection every time!
When I bring meals to younger families, these pizza sliders are often my go-to recipe because they are always a hit with kids (and perfect for small hands).
I’m often asked for the recipe — which is a good indication the meal went over well. And, as you’ll see below, the recipe is SO SO easy!
If you’re worried about making 2 dozen sandwiches at once, just remember… they are small. AND they’re excellent cold or reheated for lunches later in the week.
- 24 mini slider buns (or 12 regular buns)
- 1/2 c. pasta or pizza sauce
- pizza meat (pepperoni, ham, sausage, bacon, salami, etc)
- Mozzarella cheese (sliced or shredded)
- 4 T. butter
- 1/2 t. oregano
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 2 T. Parmesan cheese (powdered or shredded will work)
- If you're making your own buns, do that several hours (or a day) in advance.
- Once you have your buns, slice them all in half and place the bottoms in a greased 9" x 13" baking dish
- Spread bottoms of buns with pasta or pizza sauce and top with meat, cheese, and the top bun.
- In a small bowl, melt butter in the microwave (15-30 seconds)
- Mix oregano and garlic into melted butter and pour over sliders.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired and bake for 15 minutes at 325ºF or until cheese is melty and gooey.
- Serve, eat, and enjoy!
IF YOU CAN'T FIND SLIDER BUNS AT THE STORE...
You can easily make your own slider buns by defrosting a log of frozen bread dough, cutting it into 24 equal chunks, letting the chunks rise until double in size, and then baking at 350 for about 12-15 minutes.
Or, if you have a little extra time, you can make buns from scratch. This is the whole grain recipe I use, but any recipe for 1 loaf of bread or 12 regular-size buns will work.
If you're making your own buns, you can make them a day in advance to save time later.
MAKE AHEAD DIRECTIONS:
Feel free to assemble the sliders in the morning (or the day before) but wait to bake them until right before you serve them for optimal gooeyness!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 262Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 23mgSodium 416mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 3gSugar 5gProtein 12g
Nutritional information is approximate and does not account for additional ingredients or added toppings.
Aren’t they cute!?
These sliders are also great for potlucks, game-day appetizers, and even after-school snacks if you eat dinner on the later side.
If you’re short on time, feel free to assemble the sandwiches earlier in the day (or even a day ahead) and pop them in the oven just before you’re ready to eat.
And yes, they freeze well — simply defrost and bake!