What’s crispy on the outside, soft and cheesy on the inside, and ready to eat in roughly 30 minutes? Stromboli! Our family’s favorite weeknight meal!
Stromboli is officially one of our family’s most favorite meals of all time.
The kids love anything that resembles pizza, I love the fact that I can have this meal on the table in about 30 minutes, and everyone loves helping mom in the kitchen!
Seriously, I have SO many pictures of my little helpers making Stromboli with me.
There’s just something about rolling out the dough, snacking on a few pepperonis, and shaking bottles of seasonings that has the kids lining up to help.
Here’s another picture of the boys back when they were both toddlers… helping me while Nora was in preschool and Clara wasn’t even a thought. 🥰
For anyone who doesn’t know what Stromboli is, it’s basically all your favorite pizza toppings (without the sauce) layered inside a deliciously soft-on-the-inside, crispy-on-the-outside shell of dough… a.k.a. deliciousness!
For many years, I simply used a loaf of frozen bread dough because it made a perfect size Stromboli for our family.
More recently, I swapped my homemade whole-grain bread dough for the frozen dough and no one has complained.
Doesn’t it look fancy for a simple weeknight meal?
I promise, it’s SO easy… you can totally do this and your family will think you’re even more amazing.
- 1 Loaf frozen bread dough; defrosted (or make your own)
- A variety of your favorite pizza toppings
- 1 c. Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 c. Shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- (optional) Pizza/pasta sauce for dipping
- Prepare your dough ahead of time (either make it from scratch or defrost frozen dough)
- When you're ready to assemble the Stromboli, preheat your oven to 375ºF.
- Roll dough out into a large rectangle on a cookie sheet.
- Top with meats, veggies, cheeses, and seasonings DOWN THE CENTER of the dough.
- Cut strips of dough alongside the toppings
- "Braid" the strips to enclose the toppings
- Sprinkle top crust with a bit more garlic powder and Italian seasonings.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until crust is slightly brown.
- Cut, serve, and enjoy!
You can make Stromboli in ANY shape or size -- you could even make these "Stromboli Bites" as a fun appetizer or after-school snack!
Here's my recipe for whole-grain bread dough (which I use for making Stromboli).
I've personally never frozen Stromboli, but my aunt regularly freezes it BEFORE she bakes it. Just defrost, pop in the oven, and enjoy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 203Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 30mgSodium 539mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 13g
Nutritional information is approximate and does not account for additional ingredients or added toppings.
This is such a delicious meal any time of year, and for almost any occasion. And yes, the leftovers warm up nicely in a toaster oven (it also tastes pretty good cold!)
If you’re looking for a super easy meal to add to your weeknight (or weekend) rotation, give Stromboli a try… and then let me know what you think.
What are your favorite Stromboli fillings?
Visit my virtual recipe box for more simple, delicious, family friendly, recipes!