Want a deliciously hearty whole-grain snack that will fill you up and satisfy your sweet tooth without the guilt? This recipe for rustic, whole-grain granola should do the trick!
Growing up, I never liked cereal — unless it was hot (oatmeal or cream of wheat).
Fast-forward a few decades… and my children aren’t big on cereal either, BUT, our whole family enjoys my rustic whole-grain granola as a special treat, either with milk, on yogurt, or just as a crunchy snack.
This recipe (like all my other recipes) is super simple and uses basic ingredients you probably already have in the house.
You can easily change up the flavor by switching up the mix-ins based on your preference (or whatever you have in the pantry). Whatever you decide, this recipe is much cheaper and more nutritious than almost any store-bought granola around.
Homemade granola makes a great gift (it’s gluten-free) and it’s freezer-friendly — so feel free to make a double batch!
Rustic Whole Grain Granola
- 5 c. old fashioned oats (uncooked)
- 2 c. chopped nuts (I use one cup each of pecans and almonds)
- 2 c. dried fruit (I use one cup each of raisins and chopped apricots)
- 1 c. shredded coconut (optional)
- 1/2. c. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 c. maple syrup or honey (12 oz.)
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Grease 2 large baking sheets with butter or oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together.
- Spread mixture onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes (stirring at 20 minutes).
- Let cool in pans and store in air-tight containers.
- Serve with milk, yogurt, fruit, or just eat plain as a hearty snack.
Feel free to mix in whatever nuts, dried fruit, chocolate, or anything else that you enjoy eating with granola. There is no "right way" to make this recipe!
Also, this makes a great gift if packaged in a cute mason jar or cellophane bag.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 307Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 0mgSodium 116mgCarbohydrates 52gFiber 5gSugar 31gProtein 6g
Nutritional information is approximate and does not account for additional ingredients or added toppings.
This rustic whole-grain granola is one of my favorite quick and easy snacks.
One added bonus… baking this recipe makes your whole house smell amazingly delicious!
- Homemade Granola Bars
- Hearty Whole Grain Oatmeal
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Breakfast Bars
- Homemade Yogurt
- Yogurt Parfaits with Berry Compote
What are you waiting for?
Add this recipe to your baking list (or Pin it for later)!
Visit my virtual recipe box for more simple, delicious, family friendly, recipes!
Leave a Comment