It wouldn’t officially be August on the blog if I didn’t share another zucchini recipe with you… right?
Today’s recipe is a sweet one — literally!
It’s one of our family’s favorite sweet treats when zucchini are plentiful; and since it makes a fairly large batch, it’s something I regularly bring to potlucks, reunions, BBQ’s, or other parties this time of year!
If you love my Cream Cheese Frosted Banana Bars, you will probably love my Zucchini Banana Sheet Cake even more… because the sheet cake is thinner than the bars, which means a higher frosting-to-cake ratio. 🙂
And who doesn’t love homemade cinnamon cream cheese frosting??
If you’re looking for a way to use up zucchini, you really can’t go wrong with this Sheet Cake!
Give it a try and let me know what you think!
- 1/4 c. butter; softened
- 1 c. granular sugar
- 1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 3 over-ripe bananas; mashed
- 1/2 c. milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 c. flour (all purpose or whole wheat or 50/50 mix)
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. baking soda
- 2 t. cinnamon
- 3 c. shredded zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
- 1/2 c. butter; softened
- 5 ounces cream cheese
- 2 T. milk
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease an 11"x17" sheet pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in applesauce, bananas, milk, eggs, and vanilla.
- Next add dry ingredients -- flour, salt, soda, and cinnamon. Mix until combined.
- Finally, fold the zucchini into the batter until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden.
- Let cool completely at room temperature.
While the cake bakes, make your frosting...
- In a medium bowl, beat butter, cream cheese, and milk until fluffy.
- Add salt, cinnamon and vanilla until combined.
- Slowly add powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.
- Spread frosting over cooled cake and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yup, it tastes as good as it looks! All our kids love it (especially Clara!)
We eat TONS of roasted, grilled, and sautéed zucchini this time of years, and we also give LOTS of them away to neighbors, friends, family, etc. but whenever I feel like I have too much and it might start going bad, I simply shred it with a cheese grater or in the food processor.
Once it’s shredded, I squeeze out some of the water (using a colander) and freeze it in 2 or 3-cup portions for later. I can then use this pre-shredded zucchini all year long! (See below for several of our favorite zucchini recipes.)
More Zucchini Recipes!
I’ve shared 1 or 2 new zucchini recipe every year for the past 10 years… so there’s no reason your garden bounty should go to waste!
- Chicken, Zucchini, and Corn Pasta Bake
- Cheesy Zucchini Rice Casserole (so many veggies in this, especially if you use cauliflower rice)
- 3-Cheese Zucchini Lasagna Roll-Ups
- Vegetable Chowder (with tons of veggies)
- Vegetable Quiche (use veggies for the crust, and it’s gluten free!)
- Easy 10-Minute Zoodles (with grilled chicken or your favorite veggies)
- Chocolate Zucchini Brownies (with chocolate frosting!)
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- Apple Cinnamon Zucchini Bread (with brown sugar topping)
- Zucchini Crisp (it literally tastes exactly like apple crisp, WITHOUT apples!)
OK, that should keep you busy in the kitchen (or the garden) for a while!
I’d love to learn about any new favorite zucchini recipes you have too!
Visit my virtual recipe box for more simple, delicious, family friendly, recipes!