The recipe I’m sharing today is one of our family favorites — the kids gobble it up and usually ask for seconds!
If you’re looking for a new baked chicken recipe with simple ingredients, minimal prep work, a yummy crispy shell, and juicy meat with every bite, look no further!
- 1/4 c. butter
- 6 chicken pieces
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1 T. Italian seasonings (or your favorite seasoning blend)
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. bread crumbs
- 1 c. cheddar cheese
- 1 c. Rice Krispies cereal
- Place 1/4 c. butter in the bottom of a large baking dish (I use a 9" x 13" pan) and place in oven.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and let the butter melt in the pan (remove pan from oven once it's melted).
- Use 3 shallow dishes to mix up the "batter" for the chicken.
- In the first dish, combine flour, seasonings, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Scramble the egg in the second dish.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, cheese, and cereal in the third dish.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, then the cereal mixture; then place in the pan with melted butter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
Also, feel free to use this recipe as a "base recipe" and make changes based on your personal preferences. Change out the spices, use seasoned bread crumbs, use french fried onions instead of cereal, use different blends of cheese, etc.
Amount Per ServingCalories 289Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 89mgSodium 400mgCarbohydrates 20gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 13g
Side Dish Suggestions:
Although it can seem like extra busy work and extra dirty dishes to do the 3 layers of “breading” it really doesn’t take long, and the finished product is worth a few extra dirty dishes (in my opinion!)
I can usually get all the ingredients out and have the chicken ready to go into the oven by the time the oven preheats.
Then I clean up the kitchen, set the table, and finish preparing the rest of the meal while the chicken bakes.
As with all my recipes, you can easily substitute ingredients based on what you have in the house or what your family prefers. Change out the spices, use seasoned bread crumbs, use french fried onions instead of cereal, use different blends of cheese, etc.
You can really mix up this ‘base recipe’ to create many more delicious meals!
What are your favorite baked chicken recipes?
Visit my virtual recipe box for more simple, delicious, family-friendly recipes!